June Appal Records
Founded in 1974, June Appal Recordings has distributed mountain music over a period of time in which the very definition of what it means to be “mountain music” has innovated and evolved. Our catalog represents the breadth of Appalachian music, from old-time traditional to bluegrass, blues, country, hip-hop, and Americana. With almost 100 records released on June Appal Recordings, a wide variety of albums are available in digital, CD, cassette tape, and LP formats.
In keeping with Appalshop’s mission, June Appal artists and programs work to:
- Document, disseminate, and revitalize the lasting traditions and contemporary creativity of central Appalachia
- Tell stories the commercial cultural industries don’t tell
- Challenge stereotypes with Appalachian voices and visions
- Support communities’ efforts to achieve justice and equity
- Celebrate cultural diversity as a positive social value
- Participate in regional, national, and global dialogue toward these ends.
- Solve our own problems in our own ways